Mautner Markhof (with the production facilities in Floridsdorf and Simmering) and Wolfrum (Stadlau) remained competitors until August 31, 1970. Both produced yeast, alcohol, and spirits, respectively. Mautner Markhof, the undisputed number 1 in Austria in the yeast sector, earned more per kilo of yeast than Wolfrum due to the latest equipment and technologies. Alcohol production was regulated by a state quota, with Mautner Markhof number 2 with 17 % and Wolfrum number 6 with 8 %.
On September 1, 1970, the united pressed yeast factories of Mautner Markhof merged with the spirits, pressed yeast and liqueur factories of Wolfrum to form the Vereinigte Hefefabriken Mautner Markhof & Wolfrum KG. All production facilities were merged in Vienna-Simmering. In the yeast sector they were still number 1 and in the alcohol sector number 2, but with a much smaller gap to the top. In 1976 the company was converted into a stock corporation and in 1978 into a GesmbH (limited company).
In 1979 Mautner Mautner Markhof Nahrungs- und Genussmittel Beteiligungsgesellschaft Aktiengesellschaft was launched. This joint stock company acted as a management holding company for the United Yeast Factories and TH & G Mautner Markhof. All shareholders of both companies contributed their shares, but the companies themselves continued to exist as separate legal entities. The Wolfrum group of shareholders (20 %) was represented in the management by Otto Wilhelm Wolfrum, who was also subsequently a member of the board of directors, chairman of the supervisory board and ordinary shareholder.
In 1983, after the takeover of JUrany & WOlfrum GesmbH (leading and unrivaled in the dairy equipment sector since 1904), the company was finally renamed Mautner Markhof and Wolfrum Gesellschaft m. b. H. With the continuation of the JUWO brand as a separate department, the Austrian dairy industry, the entire food industry, the chemical and pharmaceutical industry and bakeries were supplied with a first-class machine trading program. Some of the machines and devices were produced in-house, and some were sold as commercial goods.
The “Yeast Groupement” was founded by Georg III. Buwa in 1945, immediately after the war. It acted as the umbrella organization of the largest yeast producers in each country and was operating until the EU expansion. From 1983 Otto Wilhelm Wolfrum was Secretary General of this organization, and since he also had excellent contacts to Hungary as the export manager of the GesmbH, it was he who pushed the initial business contact with Buszesz.
In 1991/1992 Buszesz R. T. (AG) in Budapest, the monopoly holder for yeast and vinegar in Hungary, was taken over. Buszesz was a reflection of the Simmering companies, but with 33,000 tons of yeast/year compared to Simmering’s 18,000 tons/year, far more productive. Vinegar production was also state-of-the-art. The aim of this purchase was to conquer the Eastern European market
Since the market situation had changed significantly with Austria’s entry into the EU in 1995 and Lesaffre, the world’s largest yeast producer, got free access to the Austrian market, Georg IV. J. E. began sales negotiations in 2000. Thus, in 2002 all yeast activities of Mautner Markhof, Wolfrum and Buszesz were sold to the French family business.